Friday, September 22, 2017

Record Heat on First Day of Fall

Last year NOAA declared 2016 the hottest year on record - the third consecutive annual heat record. That means 2014 was the hottest year on record before 2015, only to have the record broken again just the next year. The jury is still out on 2017. 

As somebody who does vegetable production for part of my living, I pay close attention to weather and the overall change in weather trends, i.e., climate. I have observed a couple major trends since I started on this path over 15 years ago. One, the shoulder seasons have shifted. Summer's keep extending into fall and springs have typically had large stretches heat. Two, storm events are certainly more intense. I don't I need to explain this to anybody who lives in the area and you've certainly heard me point this out before. 

I bring up climate today simply because the future of agriculture has been on my mind. I've been wondering if my children viably take on this place 30 years from now. Considering that modern agriculture developed over two millennia in a very stable climate, such a drastic change over the next few decades could prove untenable. Sure technology can give us tools to adapt, however, such deep rooted influences on crops such as insect and disease migrations will most certainly prove a challenge. All told, these climate shifts make me nervous at best. 

In the box: 
  • Green Cabbage: Most received a half cabbage simply because they were too big to fit into the box. 
  • Buttercup Squash: Seems like most people's favorite type. Please store all winter squash in a dry, sunny location...that's where it does best. 
  • 2-3 Delicata Squash: The yellow ones with a green strip. 
  • Russet Potatoes
  • Canteloupe
  • A Couple Onions
  • A Mix of Colored Peppers
  • A Few Tomatoes
  • Carrots 
  • Thyme: Small bunch with red band.
  • Cucumber 
  • A Couple Small Corn: This came out of this last sad patch of corn. I figured we're far enough away from the main corn season that you'd appreciate even a couple stray ears.