Monday, September 24, 2007

Lida Farm Journal Week 14

Well, the big news over the last week has been the frost. Last Thursday we got a light patchy frost which only hit low-lying areas. But Friday night we got a pretty heavy frost which blanketed the whole garden. Since we knew a good frost was coming, we were able to stockpile as much as possible Friday night, throwing peppers and tomatoes into packing crates like mad. That’s why you will still see tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant in the box this week. Everything else is just a pile of mush out in the fields. It’s kind of sad to see, but everything needs to come to an end. You will also see the beginning of the winter squash in the box too. I always figure people are just not in the mood to prepare squash until those cool fall days come about…I know I never am.

The other big news over the last week was the harvest party at our place on Sunday. We weren’t a huge group, but I think folks enjoyed seeing the farm and meeting some of the other members. I took everybody on the grand tour through all the weeds to check out the plants, the barn, the greenhouse, some of the equipment, and even the compost pile. I’m sure this tour was as boring as tar to the one teenager on the tour, but I think members liked learning about all the parts of the growing process from start to finish.